- Contact the BW-Germany Exchange staff so that we may assess your goals, preferences and needs to assure that you select a German university that best suits your needs.
- Complete an online application with the UConn Education Abroad Office (click “More Info and To Apply” on the individual program brochure). Once we have received this completed application, we will guide you in applying to the BW-Germany university of your choice.
Selecting a German University
An important factor in making your study abroad experience as rewarding as possible is ensuring that you spend it at a university which is best for you. Our desire is to place you at a university of your choice. With this in mind we will work with you regarding your preferences, and advise you regarding your options. Together we will determine the best university for your time in Baden-Württemberg.
The university that is right for you depends on several factors such as:
- Level of German proficiency – Baden-Württemberg’s universities eagerly welcome exchange students. Nevertheless, certain universities require a higher level of language competency than others. Your year will be the most rewarding if you choose a university that is a good match to your level of German proficiency.
- Program of Study – German universities offer a variety of academic programs. Depending on what you wish to study, certain universities may offer you more than others. If you wish to study business, then the University of Mannheim may be a great choice. If you wish to study engineering, then the University of Stuttgart may be best. We have more than 20 years of experience to help you select the university that will best fit your desired academic goals.
- Personal preference – Some students have general preferences regarding the university they wish to attend. Perhaps you prefer to be in a metropolitan environment, or perhaps you prefer the historic feel of a medieval university town. There is a wide range of environments to suit your preference.
Applying to a German University
After submitting your completed BW-Germany Exchange Program application, we will assist you in applying to your chosen BW-Germany university. Most Baden-Wurttemberg universities require the completion of three forms: an application for admission, an application for housing, and an enrollment form for the preparatory language course. We will provide you with the appropriate forms, help you complete them, and then forward them to your chosen BW-Germany university.
Acceptance to Your German University
Once you are accepted by your German university, you will receive an official acceptance packet which will contain your official letter of acceptance (your Zulassungsbescheid), instructions about arriving and registering at your host university, orientation information, and other helpful hints.
Please note: It is very important that you carefully review the documents in your acceptance packet. Some German universities include forms which must be completed and returned to them. If there are items you do not understand, we will be happy to review them with you.
Receiving Your Room Assignment
Before you leave the U.S., you will receive your housing assignment from your German university.
Most of the universities will send you a housing contract (Mietvertrag) that you must immediately sign and return. In addition, some universities require that you send in a security deposit (Kaution) with your signed contract. In these cases, payment arrangements should be made in consultation with our Office.
One exception is for students going to Heidelberg; these students do not receive their housing contract until they arrive in Germany.
Please note: Some of the universities now send housing offers via email – therefore, it is essential that you carefully monitor your emails during the months before your departure.